10/11/12

Sewing room update !






How is this for a yard sale find?

Meles boss asked us if I could use a flat file, and we decided to go and have a look at it, at the yard sale she had a few weeks ago. Needless to say the size of it in person had me rethinking the immediate 'yes!' I had said. The first thing that came to mind was the where the hell am I gonna put this on? The table I was thinking of, was already warping a bit at the center ( fyi, it was purchased at Office Depot a few years ago.. might as well have boughten one at WalMart, and saved a few bucks ) and there was no way it would take the weight, but I was most generously offered the home-made table it was originally on, for free ! The flat file was originally black, and of course, there was no way I was gonna have a huge black monster in my sewing room, so a little bit of up-dating came to mind. I dry brushed the table, which was white to begin with, with some leftover paint from my sewing room walls. The flat file was spray painted white, which was a total pain in the butt, and made me sick towards the end of the day ( major headache and nausea ) after which you would have thought it would have come out perfect, but truth be told, I was a couple of cans short of spray paint, but I made it work, and it looks pretty OK, not perfect, but not crappy looking either.

Those drawers hold so much stuff! I am not using it for fabric, but all my scrap-booking papers, mailing supplies, and patterns fit nicely. I am on the look-out for drawer organizers, all the ones I have seen locally ( by which I mean WalMart, since that is all I have to choose from within a 25 mile radius ) are 2" tall, and I need between 1" - 1.5". We are going to Eugene (civilization, malls, Target, woo !) this weekend, hopefully I can find something that will work, or else I may have to make my own, which would probably be better... hmm something made from mailing boxes, but covered in cute fabrics?
That might just work . The bottom table is HUGE! I have been trying to figure out, where to put all the fabric piles that just did not fit anywhere, and this table holds my bolts perfectly, which now freed up 2 shelves for me! I still have room on the back part of the bottom shelf, but for now, it will stay empty. As I was doing all this, I looked thru my fabrics, and made a pile of prints ( all Japanese, and all out-of-print ) that I feel is time for me to part with, so I will post when they will be listed in my Etsy shop.

  All in all, this is by far, the best $40.00 I have spent, in a very long time, I could not be happier with the extra room, and new work space as well!

9 comments:

Vintage Love & Photographs said...

Sew cute! I love it.

Lisa said...

Your sewing room is beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us.

doll-whispers said...

Love your sewing room it's so bright and cheerful!

Erika Mulvenna said...

WOW. Just...wow. I love your sewing room!

Olivia said...

So jealous I love it!!!

Nanette Merrill said...

The room is amazing. I love love love it.

joanna said...

your room is lovely!!! i BIG HEART it. i swear you get the best stuff at yard sales and goodwill JEALOUS!!!hehehe:O)

Anonymous said...

Oh may! I just found your blog and fell immediately in love with it!!!
Added your RSS feed to my google reader. Can't wait to read more of your posts ^^ I'm green with envy, your sewing room is amazing! I can't saw very well but I'm really going to try after seeing all your amazing projects. Have a great day xx Lau

Julie said...

Thank you all so much :)

Noire.. practice practice practice. I have been sewing for 20 years, and I still manage to mess up on a weekly basis :P